Only 5% of B2B buyers are ready to buy. The other 95% might not be ready for months, or even years.

If that's a scary thought that's making you rethink your entire B2B marketing strategy, well don't fear! While you might need to reassess your approach, it shouldn't be something to be afraid of.

To Andrea Linehan, CMO of the fintech company Zai, it's an exciting challenge that in fact gives you even more opportunities to think long-term goals to lay the foundations to capture that 95% when they do become ready to buy. She joined us for her second CMO Diaries appearance to share why and how the 5:95 ratio isn't something to be afraid of, it's something to embrace.

Listen to the full episode and more here.

Key talking points

  • What do we mean when we say only 5% of B2B buyers are ready to buy?
  • The importance of targeting that 95% of your audience for long-term success.
  • How to align short-term and long-term goals.

About Andrea

Andrea came to marketing through a fairly circuitous path, with an academic background in finance and accounting. After university, she worked in several different companies in the Middle East in various finance and business management roles, until she sort of stumbled into a marketing position by accident.

It was an eye-opening experience, and she quickly fell in love with the industry, and she's been a marketer ever since. Her background in finance has given her unique skills in managing marketing budgets and insights into that industry, and when she had the opportunity to apply those skills to fintech marketing, she jumped at the chance. She's been in the fintech industry in various CMO roles for the last 7 years, with her current role at Zai, the new brand that's resulted from the merger of CurrencyFair and Assembly Payments.

Want to get involved?

Want to be part of the conversation with modern CMOs? The first step is to join our community slack channel! Access is completely free, and you’ll get to connect with CMOs around the world.

Want to be a regular guest on CMO Diaries? We want to hear from you! Whether you have a topic in mind or want to brainstorm some ideas, get in touch at